- According to a very reliable source, Mats Sundin will retire, that's why he has not signed anywhere yet. Sundin is still in good shape but he has lost the desire to compete. It's still unknown as to when he'll make it official.
- The Hawks and the Senators are talking about a deal that would send forward Antoine Vermette to Chicago for rearguard Brent Seabrook. Bryan Murray has been trying to acquire a puck-moving d-man the whole summer and the Hawks are very thin up-front after they traded Robert Lang. Glen Murray is the likely candidate to replace Vermette's production upfront.
- The Kings are not interested in picking Mathieu Schneider, they are looking at a veteran defensive d-man to complete their defensive corps.
- Look for Bob Gainey to give Guy Carbonneau an extension as head coach of the Habs. This might even get done before the season starts.
- Hurricanes captain Rod Brind'Amour underwent successful surgery on his left knee yesterday morning to repair torn cartilage, but he is expected to be on the ice before the team's season opener. It might take him a few games to be 100%.
- It looks highly improbable now that Shanahan will be tendered a contract offer by the Rangers. Shanny will have to look elsewhere if he wants to play this year. St. Louis and New Jersey are the most likely destinations.
- Geoff Sanderson will not attend the BlackHawks training camp, as he's still pondering his options for the upcoming season. Former Flyer Jesse Boulerice will replace Sanderson as a training camp invitee with the Hawks.
- The Kings have invited Marty Murray to training camp to tryout.
- The Flyers will name Mike Richards their next captain and Derian Hatcher will start the season on the LITR as expected.
- Mark Parrish and Glen Murray will not attend NHL training camps without an NHL contract. They are still waiting for the right situation to come.
- The Lightning is still trying to shop Michel Ouellet, Jussi Jokinen and Jason Ward.
- The Flames are reportedly shopping defenseman Rhett Warrener and his $2.35 M salary in order to get under the salary cap.
- The injury to Justin Williams almost ensures an NHL contract to Jeff O'Neill, unless Jim Rutherford pulls the trigger for a veteran forward. Rearguard Frantisek Kaberle is rumored to be on the trading block. O'Neill is taking part of the Hurricanes camp on a tryout basis.
The Top Twenty Five
4 hours ago